The CFS program is open to:
- Undergraduate students, active and enrolled in one of Northwestern schools
- International and exchange students
- School of Professional Studies students who are using their own job or who have secured their own internship
- PhD candidates who wish to participate in CFS 495-0
You are NOT eligible for Chicago Field Studies if:
- You take a Medical Leave of Absence (MLOA) during the quarter(s) immediately prior to your term in CFS
- You are on leave from Northwestern
- You have graduated
In order to be eligible to participate in CFS you must:
- Be in your Sophomore, Junior, or Senior year (First-years are eligible to participate in the summer quarter before sophomore year)
- Have attended an information session within the last 6 months
- Be prepared to provide a letter of recommendation from a faculty member or advisor that is familiar with your work if your GPA is 2.99 or below
- Apply and be accepted into the program
- Be ready to dedicate the time and effort required for a successful internship search
- Want to participate in one of our small (16 person) seminar courses
- Have the ability to devote most of your time, both academic and extracurricular, to your CFS course and to an internship experience for one quarter
If you are an international student, you must
- F-1: Check with International Office to see if you are eligible BEFORE applying to CFS.
- Receive authorization from the International Office BEFORE starting a CFS internship, regardless of whether your internship is paid or unpaid
- J-1: Apply for pre-competition Academic Training (AT)
If you are studying abroad the quarter before you wish to participate in CFS or during the application period, you will need to:
- Go to an in-person information session before going abroad, or if you're already abroad, take the Online Information Session.
- Be available to CFS and employers by Zoom or phone and e-mail while you are abroad.
Admission is through application only. All applicants are required to attend a CFS Information Session before submitting an application.
Although it is unusual to do so, recent graduates are able to participate in the CFS program by being enrolled as a student through the School of Continuing Studies.
Please note: All schools have policies regarding how many internship program credits can count toward your degree.
Information for WCAS students on internships for credit:
If you have any other questions concerning your eligibility, please contact us at email@example.com or 847-467-0605Back to top